To download this lesson, click here.
Objective: As students begin to really explore their career matches, they will likely find a few careers they are interested in and want to explore and research further. This is instrumental in guiding students as they choose the classes they want to pursue in high school, college, technical college, or certification programs.
Materials Needed: Computer or tablet
Lesson: Ask students to pull up their YouScience results and click on the Careers tab at the top of the screen. If they haven’t already, all students should save at least 3 careers they are interested in (we recommend at least one of them should be a Strong Fit in the Overall Fit category). Students will need to narrow down these options to one specific career to explore in more detail.
Student Project: Students will put together a PowerPoint presentation about the research they’ve conducted on the career of their choosing. Slide topics to include:
- WHY they want to pursue the career
- Educational investment required (what is their plan for school?)
- What are the core tasks of the job? What will the student be doing on a day to day basis?
- Career Goals: including salary information and where the student plans to live
- Aptitude Fit: Students should list at least 2 aptitudes that they will be able to use/leverage to their advantage in this career
- Interest Fit: Students should list at least 2 interests that contribute to why they want to work in this industry
- Plan for AFTER post-secondary education (if student is pursuing post-secondary ed)
For additional questions or assistance, contact our Customer Support Team via Chat, Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Call 801-653-9356, Toll-Free 800-470-1215