To download this lesson, click here.
Objective: To familiarize students with the core tasks of the careers they are interested in pursuing by interviewing a professional in those fields.
Materials Needed: YouScience Results, Computer/Tablet or paper & pencil
Lesson: Students will be instructed to choose at least 2 working professionals (could be family members, older friends, teachers, neighbors, etc.) to interview about his/her job. Preferably, the professionals students choose should have careers that the student has an aptitude or overall strong fit/good fit career match for. Students should first familiarize themselves with the “core tasks” section of the career card to get an idea of what the interviewee works on and accomplishes each day. Each student should plan to ask a variation of the following questions:
- Can you describe a day in the life of your job? What are your main goals and tasks?
- Why did you choose the career you chose or how did you end up working in your field?
- What did you study in college (if interviewee went to college)?
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
- Do you supervise or manage any other employees at your company?
- What are your typical work hours?
- What types of problems do you deal with or solve on a daily basis?
- What are common entry level jobs for your position?
- What advice would you give someone pursuing a position in this field or industry?
Students can record their interviews with the permission of the interviewee, or they can type/write their answers. This activity will give the student more detailed insight into what goes into each career he/she is interested in pursuing.
For additional questions or assistance, contact our Customer Support Team via Chat, Email email@example.com, or Call 801-653-9356, Toll-Free 800-470-1215