USBE policies for pausing exams and retakes delivered through Precision Exams certification platform.
State policy is such that in order to protect the integrity of CTE skill certification exams, it does not allow for a student to enter a secure testing environment, leave, and then return to the same secure environment at a later time to finish an exam after having been exposed to test items. Such a practice compromises test integrity and does not meet the minimum acceptable standards for educational testing as outlined in the Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing sanctioned by the American Educational Research Association, the American Psychological Association and the National Council on Measurement in Education.
Teachers requiring an exam to be reopened must receive approval from officials at USBE before calling PE technical support (801-653-9356).
Exams may be paused and then later resumed under the following circumstances:
1. Students who require multiple days to complete an exam as authorized by a student’s official IEP or 504 plan.
2. An official emergency as recognized and authorized by school administration.
3. Directive from Precision Exams or officials at USBE to interrupt testing during the administration of an exam.
Exams may NOT be paused and reopened for the following reasons:
1. To give students more time to complete an exam beyond class time limit.
2. To allow students to leave the classroom for a school or personal activity unless that activity is an emergency and has been authorized by school administration, Precision Exams, or officials at USBE.
3. To allow students more time to leave and study for an exam after the student has already been exposed to exam items.
For students who need more time to take an exam, we recommend that the school schedule a computer lab for students to take the test so they are not limited to a 60 minute class schedule. We also recommend that teachers set the class/test up in the system long before students get to class so valuable test time is not taken before students log onto the system.
If educators are aware that students have previously scheduled extracurricular school functions that might interfere with their ability to take an exam, then teachers and administrators are responsible for scheduling a time for testing to accommodate the official school activities of the student.
Skills Exam Retake Policy
Students can take an exam ONLY once during the semester in which the student is enrolled. If a certificate is not achieved, students must officially re-enroll in the course the following semester in order to re-take the assessment.
Additional information can be found by visiting: https://schools.utah.gov/cte/skillcertificate/testadministration
For questions regarding these policies please contact the USBE:
Greg Richens, Education Specialist
CTE Skill Certification
Phone: (801) 538-7853 | firstname.lastname@example.org